Since 2018 I have specialised in development of React powered UI component libraries and decoupled Jamstack websites, using Gatsby and Next.js.
In my most recent role I worked as a hands-on lead React UI developer, responsible for the architecture, daily development and maintenance of a global bespoke UI component library.
General experience and qualities
- Technical, UI and UX consultation
- Writing functional specifications
- Project management
- Team leading
- Mentoring and peer reviews
- Product owner and customer liaison
- Leading meetings and demos
- HTML 5
- CSS 3
Packages and platforms
- React router
- React Testing Library
- Create React app
- Material UI
Methodologies and patterns
- NPM scripts
Repository & issue tracking
- Atlassian Jira
- Atlassian Confluence
- Bitbucket pipelines
- GitHub actions
- Circle CI
Lead React UI Developer
July 2019 - July 2020
Pulse secure, a global specialist in VPNs and load balancing was transitioning to a SaaS based model and required the development of a bespoke UI component library. This library would be consumed by product engineers in the UK, US and India, to produce a collection of React based applications.
- Collaborating with UX and UI designers to scope new UI components and produce functional specifications for myself and the team
- Architecture and front end development of bespoke React based UI components using test driven development (TDD), building in isolation using Storybook.
- Writing unit and integration tests for our UI components, using a combination of Jest and React Testing Library
- Documenting our UI components API and providing contextual examples using Storybook
- Conducting per reviews and mentoring junior team members
- Acting as the scrum master for the department, including leading daily stand ups, biweekly sprint planning sessions and backlog triage with the product owner
- Providing technical assistance to the consumers of the UI library (global product teams)
- Increased throughput of releases for new features and bug fixes
- Improved cross department communications between UX, UI and engineers
- Increased test coverage, leading to improved QA and engineer confidence
- Improved product documentation, leading to quicker adoption and easier use
- Improved performance, reliability and compile time of build system
- Reduced package bundle sizes, leading to a more optimised performance
- Promoted the use of modern React concepts and patterns though example
- Improved department engineering knowledge and promoted self-learning
Lead React UI Developer (Contract - under NDA)
Mar 2019 - May 2019
My client, a traditional on premise software provider for the automotive industry was preparing to move to a SaaS based model and required a React UI developer to act as a consultant to facilitate the development of a React based UI component library.
I worked with product owners and existing server side product engineers to identify their requirements and in-turn conduct technical spikes and prototypes in an effort to recommend required architecture, infrastructure and staffing resource.
Lead React Web Developer (Contract - under NDA)
Dec 2018 - Feb 2019
A major player in the education sector was preparing to launch a new application and required the development of a performance focused website to market the app. I was hired as a lead React web developer to build this website, using Gatsby, a React based framework for building static Jamstack websites. In addition to working on the front end UI, I was also responsible for the backend engineering, which used WordPress as a decoupled headless CMS.
Full stack Web developer
Jan 2012 - Jul 2019
Over the course of 7 years, I worked as a contract full stack web developer. I specialised in the production of bespoke websites, in the capacity of a front end UI developer and where required also as a backend developer for websites that required CMS functionality.
Since 2018 I specialised in the development of Jamstack websites using frameworks based on React and Node.js (Gatsby and Next.js), using WordPress as a decoupled headless CMS.
Full stack web developer
Oct 2011 - Sep 2012
Full stack web developer
Mar 2009 - Feb 2011
Front end developer
Mar 2005 - Jan 2009
Web Designer / front end developer
Sep 2001 - Mar 2005