- Bower is a popular package manager for web developers. It automatically installs, updates and manages the dependencies used in my projects. This helps reduce my initial setup time, which means less cost for you and a reduced lead-time on the development of your site.
- Codekit / Gulp
- BitBucket is a cloud based version control system which allows me to manage my code and project assets. Not only does it act as a disaster recovery solution. It enables developers to easily collaborate and work on the same file, at the same time, without the fear of overwriting each others work.
- SASS is an extension of the CSS language used to define how your site looks. Its popularity is huge, and unlike traditional CSS it allows developers to work in a more efficient and modular way. This includes using both variables and logic to create styles without unnecessary repetition also known as the DRY (don’t repeat yourself) approach.
- Foundation framework
- Foundation is an industry leading frontend framework. It includes ready-made components that act as a great starting point (or foundation) for me to build your site on. The aim of a framework is to allow a developer to build the core of the site in less time, whilst providing the flexibility to allow these components to be adapted and styled to suit any design / project.
- Browser testing is an important process during development of a website. I use VirtualBox and Windows official virtual machines to test all my sites prior to launch. This allows me to fully test your site across all supported versions of Windows and Internet Explorer. I also test on real iOS and Android devices.
Backend web development technologies like PHP are responsible for communicating with your web server and database to populate content on your website. WordPress and WooCommerce are frameworks that are built upon these core backend programming languages. I’ve outlined the core backend web development technologies I use below.
- MAMP Pro
- Every website is run on a server (a computer). When we type a web address into our browser a request is sent to the server for the files required to display the website. Whilst a developer builds your site they’ll create a local server on their own computer. This allows them to develop the site in a faster and more controlled environment, and MAMP Pro is an industry leading local sever application that does just that.
- Advanced Custom Fields Pro
- Advanced Custom Fields is a WordPress plugin that allows the creation of content fields within a WordPress theme. By default WordPress allows a default set of content fields – a title, some body text and a featured image. ACF allows a developer to extend these default content fields to suit the needs of the client’s website content. Every site I build is powered by this excellent plugin.